Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Texture Mapping

Texture mapping is like the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae. A model is never complete without it's colors, designs, and texture and even though a three dimensional object may already look impressive with just it's mold, but it will never be truly perfect without knowing if it's smooth, shiny, rough, colorless, or colorful. Texture mapping is what gives an object its true character. To be honest, creating texture it probably the easiest part in creating a three-dimensional model and video games in general. This is where traditional hand drawing and realism is being tested.

The purpose of this project was to create a design/texture map for the unwrap UV’s(the image on the bottom left) The model for this project was a simple robot and it was up to me to decide what kind I wanted it to be. My final thought was to create three designs; a cute bear inspired by san-x’s character Rilakkuma, a plain plum, and teal color based on Danelectro’s vintage pedals. At first I just gave it’s basic colors and paste in some simple decals, but there was something about the outcome that I didn’t like. The robots looked glossy and brand new. Everybody loved it, but to me it just looked like something everybody has already done. Every model looked like it just came out fresh out of the factory. I wanted something different so instead of brand new robots, I created texture maps that made the robots looked old. In Photoshop I added moss, scratches, and dirt to make it seem like the robots has been through rain, fighting, and hard work. On the edges I made it looked like paint were chipping off. Making the robots looked used and instead of new made it more realistic rather that just a 3D model. I’m glad I decided to through this path, because I really fell in love with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment